This simple recipe can be used year round. Additional spices and vegetables can be added as available and to taste. Salt, pepper and oil (ghee) can be added as well. Use all or some of the spices listed below.
1 cup white basmati rice
1 cup yellow split mung dal
1 handful copped cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon turmeric
6 cups water
1/2 to 2 teaspoons cumin powder
1/2 to 2 teaspoons coriander powder
1/2 to 2 teaspoons fennel powder
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1-2 t dry basil (or more fresh)
1-2 t grated fresh ginger
1-2 cloves garlic
1-2 T vegetable oil or ghee
1 bay leaf
2-3 cups chopped fresh vegetables
2 t mustard seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash and rinse beans and rice twice.
2. Saute mustards seeds until they pop. Add additional spices.
3. Add grains and water and simmer 25-30 minutes.
2. Add fresh vegetables and cilantro after 15-20 minutes.
4. Cook until tender. Add additional water and salt to create desired consistency and taste.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
For Individual Doshas:
Vata: Add hing
Pitta: Top with ghee
Kapha: Add cayenne. Option to use brown rice and whole mung beans. Cook 50-60 minutes.