Since when can chocolate cake possibly be Ayurvedic? Well, in the summer, sometimes our fire and Pitta can get a bit much. If you’re feeling overheated and irritable and ready to remind yourself of the sweetness that’s always available to your inner self, try this moist sweet cake. I also use it as my standard birthday cake for chocolate lovers. It’s especially good for the Pitta ones who can digest wheat, dairy, sugar and eggs. I do have some wheat free and alternative chocolate cakes–ones with beets and zucchini–but this is a good basic cake. Don’t tell anyone it’s Ayurvedic, since it’s really just a Northeast cake I’m serving in the Northwest. Shhh!
4 ounces (squares) unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup jaggery
1/2 cup hot water
1 3/4 cup flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup jaggery
4 organic eggs
1/4 cup yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350* F and butter two round 9 inch cake pans
2. Melt together first three ingredients
2. Combine flour, soda and salt in a separate bowl
3. Beat butter and sugar. Add one egg at a time.
4. Alternate adding flour mixture with milk.
5. Stir in chocolate and vanilla.
6. Cook for 30-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Invert cake from pans after 5 minutes of cooling.
4 Tablespoons butter at room temperature
1 ounce unsweetened melted chocolate
2 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup dutch process cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions: Mix above ingredients until well blended and frost cake.
Serves: 10-12 depending on portion size